Here is the Chocolate version of the sponge cake recipe. I made this cake for a friend. It was made with an 9x113 pan and I doubled the recipe. I did have to cut off the edges, as I found they stayed higher than the center. These cakes "fall" a little when they hit the cool air, but are still light ad moist. (There is a layer of Raspberry jam between the two cakes, Yum!)
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 c gluten free flour mix with NO Xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
1.Sift corn starch, flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside
2. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
3. Beat egg yolks into the egg whites.
4.Gradually beat in sugar until mixture forms a figure 8.
6.Fold in the dry ingredients.7.Divide into 2 well greased 20 cm (8") sandwich pans.
8. Bake at 180 C or 350 F for about 15- 20 minutes.
9. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
10. When cool, top one with whipped cream and jam (jelly).
11. Place the other on top and dust with icing sugar.