Tuesday, October 27, 2009

GF Rice Bread Recipe

SO I went to the store last week to buy GF bread for the boys and was shocked to find it went up a whole dollar, to $7.69 a loaf. YIKES!! So I really went to work this week trying to work out my own recipe.
I have a favorite Honey Oatmeal bread that I make for DH and DD and myself, so I have been experimenting with it and researching other 5 star rated GF breads. A lot of GF recipes call for eggs and cake style ingredients, which really doesn't help keep the cost of making the bread down. But I have now come up with a "standard pantry ingredients" recipe that my son declared today was better than the store bought. I make mine on the dough setting of the bread maker and finish it in the oven.

GF Honey Oatmeal Bread

1 1/4 cups warm water
1/4 or 1/3 cup honey
2 tsp GF yeast
(dissolve honey in water and add yeast without stirring. Let sit for 5-10 min, even if making in a bread machine)

Add in order:
1 cup quick oats oatmeal
1 tsp salt
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp Xanthan Gum
2 Tbsp skim milk powder
2 1/2 cups GF Flour mix (that has no xanthan gum)
1/2 chickpea flour

mix and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until you see an increase in size by at least half it's original size. (double would be a great achievement though!)
Punch down and knead into a loaf and place in a greased bread pan.
Place in a pre-warmed oven (no more than 150 F) to rise for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, until it fills the pan. DO NOT remove from oven, but place a cookie sheet on the oven rack above the loaf and turn your oven up to 350 F. (you can remove the pan once your top element goes out)
Bake at 350 F for 20 - 30 min until golden.
Remove from oven and brush top with butter and let cool some before removing from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment