Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Red Advent Candles and Candy Canes

I went to buy the advent candles for this years wreath, and COULD NOT find the right colors. We were at a dollar store looking again one day, and could only find 4 red tapers and a white pillar for the center. I sighed and announced to the children that the red would have to do for this year and went to the till.  We were walking back to the car and my oldest son, 5, was tromping along in his  big winter boots, looking pretty aimless when he had a thought. "Mom" he said, it doesn't matter that the candles are all red.  They remind us of the stripes on Jesus back when he died for us, just like the candy cane story"
Isn't that something we should also remember at Christmas, that Jesus was born so he could die and be our Savior?
DS was talking about  a poem they learned in Sunday school

Look at a candy cane, what do you see?
Stripes that are RED like the BLOOD shed for me!
White for my Savior who's sinless and pure!
J is for JESUS, my Lord. That's for sure!
Turn it around and a staff you will see--
Jesus my SHEPHERD, is coming for me!
                       - Unkown


Maybe we will do red candles every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment